Friday, March 11, 2005

TV and the Dentist?

So I have a bit of a rant. I went to the dentist for my bi-annual cleaning this week. When I sat down in the chair, I was a bit shocked to be immediately handed a remote and have a television monitor quickly swiveled around in front of my face.

"Find something you like!" bubbled my dental hygenist. Now don't get me wrong, but this is one place that I never really expected to find a TV. I can understand the desire to get one's mind off of the scraping, poking and polishing, but I really don't want my hygenist to do the same. The first thing that I did with my remote was to mute the TV. Even after doing that, I caught her looking over at the TV every few minutes. I couldn't perform my job well with a hypnotic TV mere inches from my head, so why should I expect her to do so. This woman has sharp pointy objects in my mouth, and the last thing that I need is for her to be distracted.

Oy! I'm all for advanced in dental technology, but I'd argue that the Boob Tube should definitely not be one of them.

No comments: