Friday, January 27, 2006

Ugly Duckling



Where have I been? I just heard the hip-hop group Ugly Duckling for the first time today.

This three piece group reminds me of the fun old house party days, back when most people still referred to the genre as "rap." Their CD Taste the Secret reminds me of the early Pharcyde CD Bizarre Ride II mixed in with a little House of Pain style white-boy rap - complete with little skits between and often during the songs.

The beats are infectious and catchy. You'll surely be tapping your toes to the beat. As for lasting power, I'm willing to bet that I won't be listening to this CD from beginning to end many times. The skits get kindof annoying after a while, but there are a number of songs that I'll put into other mixes, including my favorite, Rio de Janeiro. Find it in the used bin and you'll have some fun with it.

No comments: